You are here
Oxidative stress, which generates free radicals in the body, has deleterious effects on all the cells of the body. These effects are particularly visible on the skin, since the free radicals:
- Lead to a decrease in the production of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid, which makes the skin less firm, less supple, less hydrated and thus more susceptible to be marked by wrinkles.
- Degrade the membranes of skin cells, which contributes to the formation of age spots.
- Cause alterations in the DNA of skin cells, at the start of mutations which can even lead to death of cells.
Fragile protection against oxidative stress
Nature does things well: the body protects itself from the oxidisation of cells by producing molecules which are capable of:
- eliminating free radicals,
- limiting their proliferation,
- even repairing certain cellular attacks.
But these beneficial molecules, known as anti-oxidants, are sometimes too few compared to free radicals to let the body maintain its equilibrium. It is certainly why it is so important to feed your skin with these molecules, not only by using skincare products which contain them, but also thanks to a diet rich in anti-oxidants.